So the second trailer for Spider-Man: No Way Home dropped tonight, and it looks like a lot of fun! Here it is if you haven’t seen it yet:
Like any self-respecting comics geek, I’ve watched and rewatched this thing about a half a dozen times now, trying to decode what the final movie is going to be like from three minutes of mostly new footage. Here are my predictions. Sound off in the comments and let us know what you think!
- Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield will just be cameos towards the end, if that. And I’m okay with that. The focus will be on Tom Holland’s Peter Parker, as it should be. We’ve already had Into The Spider-Verse. We don’t need a live-action version of it.
- Alfred Molina and Willem Dafoe will have a ball chewing the scenery as Doc Ock and the Green Goblin once again.
- Jamie Foxx will be better as Electro than he was in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but he won’t be playing the same version of the character.
- Thomas Haden Church and Rhys Ifans will not return, and we’ll only see the Sandman and the Lizard in their transformed states (i.e. CGI).
- Similarly, James Franco’s New Goblin will only appear masked, and we won’t even have a voiceover from him. (Good.)
- Even money we’ll see Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio in a flashback.
- Dylan Baker will once again be sadly forgotten. (I swear, Dylan Baker and Billy Dee Williams should do a buddy comedy as actors who paid their dues in movies that set them up as supervillains, but never got to have the fun of actually playing said supervillains through no fault of their own. That’s a fun premise, right?)
- Michael Keaton and Tom Hardy have GOT to at least cameo as the Vulture and Venom, right? I feel like people are primed for both of them to return. (I’m personally fine if Venom never shows up, but Sony is big on the character, and he’s very popular among Spider-Man fans, so I get it.)
- It’d be cool to see Michael Mando become the Scorpion for real, too.
- It’s a shame they haven’t established a live-action Kraven the Hunter before this. It’d be fun to see him in the mix. My pick for the role? Former Flash Thompson Joe Manganiello (META!).
- J.K. Simmons will absolutely KILL IT as J. Jonah Jameson. Again. I hope we get to see lots of him in the movie.
- I’m absolutely fine if Jared Leto and Woody Harrelson don’t show up as Morbius and Carnage. Leto is one of the most annoying, pretentious, overrated actors working today as far as I’m concerned, and I’m indifferent to Morbius and Carnage at best. Woody Harrelson is great, but I’m just not a Carnage fan.
- But hey, bottom line for me, it’s a Spider-Man movie cowritten by Chris McKenna, author of Community‘s “Remedial Chaos Theory.” Now there’s a guy who knows how to make a great story about alternate universes.
All right, those are my thoughts and predictions. I’ll do a follow up post in December to see how close I got! What do you think, folks?