We here at the ol’ Atomic junk Shop have been toiling away in the pop culture mines for almost four-and-a-half years now since we first hung out the sign in October, 2016. It’s been great fun for us and hopefully for you, but the time has come for crass commercialism and money-grubbing to enter the picture.
As we mention in just about every post, most of the links we embed will take you to Amazon, or occasionally to some other outlet, where we get a commission on anything you happen to buy once you follow one of our links. This sometimes brings in enough for the occasional Starbucks visit every couple of months, while Google ads bring in just about enough to cover the annual hosting bill.
Backstage, we started talking about setting up a Patreon account a couple of years ago, going so far as to actually sign up for an account, and we even created a promotional video…
We haven’t launched the page yet, because here’s where it all gets gummed up: What incentives or rewards do we have to offer our supporters?
What would you, the faithful readers of Atomic Junk Shop, like to receive in return for converting your support into the kind we can spend? We’ve thought of a few possibilities, as well as a couple of other avenues to make the site generate some filthy lucre:
- We can add a sponsor page and list contributors.
- If you contribute more, we could add a link to the site of your choice.
- We could add a “Publishers” section to the site that would include your name on every page
- We could also give you and/or your site a shout-out on Twitter and Facebook (and we could add an Instagram account to our site’s portals).
- We could let you choose a topic to post about.
- Or let you participate in an “Atomic Roundtable” on a topic of your choosing.
- We could create some swag of some sort, like t-shirts or water bottles or something, maybe with the Atomic Junk Shop logo, or featuring public-domain art like the images we used to fill the “JUNK” letters, or some other merch we haven’t thought of yet, and we’re open to suggestions on that.
- We could share rough drafts of posts in progress for our Patrons to get an advance look at.
- Or any of a number of other ideas.
So the question really comes down to you, our friends and readers; is a Patreon something you would want us to do and would support, and if so, what kind of rewards would you like to receive for being an Atomic Junk Shop Patron? Please let us know in the comments below, or email email@example.com if you want to make a private suggestion or comment.
In the words of Bartles & Jaymes, “Thank you for your support.”